Beavers Leave it Late to Beat Swans

Hampton & Richmond Borough Press Officer Rob Overfield reports on a dramatic local Bank Holiday derby between Staines Town and Hampton.

The Beavers defied a wet pitch, injury to influential skipper Kieran Murphy and also conceding a scrappy goal to snatch an amazing victory deep in injury time.

Hampton had the better of the early exchanges, with Nicke Kabamba being unlucky to see his 3rd minute shot deflected over the bar.

Jerome Federico was proving to be a handful again and his shot in the 8th minute only just flew wide; his cross some 7 minutes later fell to Charlie Moone but the striker saw his shot go wide off a Staines defender.

On 33 minutes, the game had to be suspended due to an injury to Kieran Murphy, leading to a 24 minute delay. As he fell heavily on the sodden turf in clearing from Abdulla, his shoulder became dislocated and first aiders on the scene decided to not risk moving him, leading to the game being suspended.

Paramedics appeared within 15 minutes and after further treatment, assisted Kieran into the ambulance. Joe Hicks came on in his place.

The second half was more of the same, with the Beavers dominating more of the play, without making it count. They nearly paid for that on 56 minutes and perhaps should have as Michael Kamara slipped on the sodden turf, when challenged by Abdulla.

The striker bore down on goal as Seb Brown came dashing out to narrow the angle. It was just enough as Abdulla pushed his shot wide of the post.

In the end, the Beavers did go behind on 71 minutes and it was in a scruffy manner. A corner from the Staines right bounced about the box, and was cleared off the goal line twice before Pat Cox managed to bundle it home.

The Beavers rolled up their sleeves and kept up the pressure, but it looked a forlorn hope until in the first few seconds of added time, Joe Hicks played an exquisite ball to Tom Jelley down the left. Jelley cut inside and fired shot past Swans’ keeper Turner and into the corner of the net.

At this point, many of the Hampton fans behind the goal would probably have taken a point, but the team wanted the win and kept pressing.

With seconds remaining, Charlie Moone found himself in a yard of space inside the box as he picked up a loose ball, and with some satisfaction, he slotted the ball past Turner to pick up his 3rd goal of the season to deflate the home team and send the Hampton supporters into raptures of joy behind the goal.

Staines Town (0)

Pat Cox 71

Hampton & RB (0)

Tom Jelley 90+1, Charlie Moone 90+4.

Att: 402


About James Bartaby

Hey, I'm James and I'm relatively new to non-league football, having only taken in my first match in September 2011. Despite it being a 0-4 defeat for Hampton & Richmond Borough, I became a huge fan of the club and NL in general. So much so that they are now the first club that I mention when talking about which team I support! I just got massively disillusioned with top flight football in this country and the attitudes of the lawmakers and top clubs in general, and I wanted to start taking my son to see decent football. I am now the club's Deputy Press Officer, and loving every minute!

Posted on September 1, 2015, in UTL Archive and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: