Halesowen Town FC: Yeltz Claim Victory over Sports


Halesowen bounced back to winning ways after defeating promotion rivals Mickleover Sports in a crazy game that saw the referee issue six yellow cards and two penalties.

The first chance of the game came twenty minutes in, as Halesowen were given a free-kick on the half-way line.  Neil Mackenzie smashed the ball upfield and Nigel Penney was able to knock the ball onto Iyseden Christie who headed goalward, but Chris Martin made a last-gasp save as he knocked the ball onto the post and back into play.

Christie broke through the Mickleover defence ten minutes later as he ran into the right side of the box and hit a shot at goal that would have ripped the top of the net if it wasn’t for a fantastic reaction save from visiting keeper Chris Martin.

Halesowen were then awarded a penalty as a Mickleover defender handled the ball in the penalty area. Iyseden Christie stood up to take it and he placed the ball over the outstretching Chris Martin and into the right hand corner to claim the lead for the Yeltz in the 35th minute.

Mickleover started to crumble as they conceded a second just three minutes later. Joe Hull managed to get his head to the ball, and his well aimed effort from around twelve yards flew past everyone in the box into the net to give Halesowen a comfortable lead.

The second half kicked off with Mickleover having their first real chance of the game as Kevin Grocott gathered the ball from the outside of the box and he hit a shot, but the ball flew miles over the bar. Christie nearly got his second of the game as he ran past Liam Walshe and down the right hand side of the box beforee hitting a low shot that went past keeper Chris Martin, but just rolled inches wide of the left hand post.

Mickleover got themselves back into the game with twenty minutes left as Asa Charlton pushed Karl Demidh away from play to give Sports a penalty. Demidh stood up to take the penalty and he blasted the ball out of Matt Sargeant’s reach and into the bottom right hand corner of the net.

Mickleover nearly snatched a point late on as a scramble in the Yeltz box eventually gave the ball to Karl Demidh and he had an empty net to place the ball into the net, but Curtis Tilt saved the day as he managed to clear the ball off the line and to give Halesowen all three points.

HALESOWEN: Matthew Sargeant, Kristian Green, Asa Charlton, Neil Mackenzie (Shane Grainger 90’), Joe Hull, Curtis Tilt, Avun Jephcott, Thomas Tonks (Jean-Michel Gueyes 41’), Iyseden Christie, Nigel Penney (Matt Martin 68’), Aaron Griffiths. Unused Subs: Sam Pearson, Brendan Kelly.





Posted on December 4, 2013, in UTL Archive and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: