Yeltz Crash Out To Basement Boys Kidsgrove On Pens

Doodson Sport League Cup 1st Round – Tuesday, 13th November 2013

Kidsgrove Athletic 1 Halesowen Town 1 (after extra-time) – Kidsgrove win 5-4 on penalties.

Halesowen bailed out at the first hurdle of the Doodson Sport Cup as they were beaten 5-4 on penalties by basement side Kidsgrove, after drawing 1-1 after normal time. The Yeltz made nine changes to their starting line up with three youth players making the step up for this game.

The first chance of the game came fifteen minutes in, and was from Kidsgrove as a dangerous cross came to Matt Haddrell, who headed the ball at goal from point blank range, but he only got part of his head to the ball, and it went just wide of the left hand post.

Halesowen then had a chance of their own as Youth product Danny Waldron managed to chest the ball down and hit a shot from eighteen yards out, but it rolled wide of the goal.

Kidsgrove kept wasting chances to put them in the lead, as Shane Reaney managed to break through the Yeltz defence after they gave the ball away and he ran all the way to goal before he fluffed his shot and put it wide of the right hand post.

Kidsgrove had a scare 35 minutes in, as Daniel Read failed to catch the ball in mid-air and the ball bounced towards goal, but none of the Yeltz players were quick enough to beat the Kidsgrove defence to the ball and it was hit back into play.

Halesowen could have taken the lead just before half time, as a curling corner kick flew into the box and Matt Fulloway was quickest to react as he got his head to the ball, but the effort stormed wide of the left hand post.

Halesowen kick-started the second half with a goal, as a great curling cross from Adam Meacham flew into the box and John Hill was in the right place at the right time to header the ball into the net to claim his first senior goal on his full debut for the Yeltz.

Adam Meacham was playing his last game in a Yeltz shirt, and he wanted to go out with a bang as he skipped past two Kidsgrove players before he hit the ball towards goal from 25 yards out, and the shot wasn’t far off from dipping in, as it was centimetres away from touching the crossbar.

Halesowen’s lead lasted all but 10 minutes, as Ryan Smith was given way too much space and he was able to easily slot the ball into the net to give Kidsgrove a fighting chance to go through.

Halesowen’s night went into more turmoil after 65 minutes as Elliott Turner went into a lunging challenge in an attempt to get the ball from Ryan Smith and Turner collided into Smith, and Elliott was shown a controversial red card for his challenge and it was now anyone’s game.

Yeltz were starting to get more chances at goals as Kristian Green took a shot from distance that flew out of the stadium and Matt Martin did the same two minutes later.

Halesowen were then denied a penalty as Shane Grainger, who had played outstanding on his debut, was tackled in the box, but he got back up and took a shot from 12 yards out, but it just went wide of the right hand post. Grainger kept showing his potential as he skipped past Karl Espley and hit a shot that flew wide of the right hand post.

Kidsgrove nearly claimed the game late on as Tom Wakefield was given space in the Yeltz box and he hit a shot that was on-target, but Pearson reacted well and he caught the ball with ease.

The last chance of the game came from Halesowen as a corner kick from Griffiths flew towards the back post and Matt Martin headed the ball goalward and it bounced towards goal before it was acrobatically cleared by Chris Smith.

The game ended and it went straight into penalties as the two sides battled for a place in the second round.

The first penalty for Halesowen decided their fate, as Brendan Kelly concentrated more on placement and his curling penalty was palmed away by Read.

Yeltz scored their final four penalties, and so did Kidsgrove, and Kidsgrove’s Darren Twigg finally ended the tie as he blasted the ball past the outstretching Pearson, and Halesowen had crashed out of the first stage of the cup for the third time this season.

Halesowen Town: Sam Pearson, John Hill (Joe Hull) Adam Meacham, Elliott Turner, Matt Fulloway (Matt Martin), Brendan Kelly, Kristian Green, Shane Grainger, Avun Jephcott, Daniel Waldron (Curtis Tilt), Aaron Griffiths. Unused Subs: Matt Sargeant, Jean-Michel Gueyes.

Kidsgrove Athletic: Daniel Read, Kevin Street, Ryan Grocott, Karl Espley, Matt Haddrell (Tom Wakefield), Chris Smith, Aiden Matranga (Adam Yates), Michael Carr, Jonathan Proudlove, Ryan Smith, Shane Reaney (Darren Twigg).Unused Subs: Wayne Johnson.

Attendance: 56

Reece Charlton – Follow me on twitter: @Reece_Charlton


Posted on November 13, 2013, in UTL Archive and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: