Beavers Progress With Emphatic Win

Despite falling behind, Hampton & Richmond Borough will take their place in Monday’s Fourth Qualifying Round draw after a thumping victory against Southern Premier League Arlesey Town. The result ensures that Borough will be just one win away from the First Round.

Two years ago, Arlesey destroyed Hampton, then in Conference South, 6-2 in the First Qualifying round, and were unbeaten against the Beavers. And it was the visitors that struck first, when James Hatch lashed home a powerful drive after veteran – and legendary – striker Barry Hayles (or should that be Harry Bayles!) made a nuisance of himself in the box. It was a good finish from Hatch, as the shot went under the dive of Beavers ‘keeper Rodney Chiweshe, with the double Player of the Month winner unable to get enough on it.

Just three minutes later, though, and parity was restored. Tommy Brewer, enjoying a good run at right back, put over an inviting cross with his left foot that Charlie Moone glanced into the far corner. It was a brilliant cross, one that from the minute it left his foot, you just knew it was going to result in a goal. Especially when it’s Charlie getting on the end of it! It was ten minutes before there was another decent effort on goal, and again it was Moone looking dangerous, but this time his shot curled wide after a good turn in the box. On twenty one minutes, though, the game swung irrevocably in the home side’s favour. A superb individual goal by Moone put the Beavers in front, and seemed to deflate the visitors somewhat. After receiving the ball, he jinked across the box before drilling a shot into the same corner as his header.

Now, saying that a goal to make it 2-1 changed the game irrevocably could be deemed a big statement to make, but the visitors never looked like getting back into the match after this. They only had one more golden chance, which came seven minutes before the break. Jonny McNamara ran down the right and cut inside to shoot, which teenage left back George Wells did well to block. However, the deflection took the ball to Hatch, only for him to slice wide when the goal was at his mercy. Mind you, it could have been 3-1 by then, as Arlesey goalie Nathan Abbey tipped over a powerful volley from Dan Thompson after he was set up by Moone. Half Time: Hampton 2 Arlesey Town 1

Hattrick hero Charlie Moone

Hattrick hero Charlie Moone

Ten minutes into the second half, the result was put to bed, and revenge gained for that miserable defeat two years ago. On fifty four, Dan Thompson scored his first goal since returning to the club. Tommy Brewer combined with Tom Hickey on the right, and Hickey’s shot was deflected into the net by Thompson. And just a minute later, Charlie Moone completed a fantastic hattrick, again showing great composure and footwork to round the keeper and slot home. It’s one of the best trebles I can remember seeing, as every goal was pure quality.

Popular midfielder James Simmonds came on for the last twenty five minutes, and looked determined to get on the scoresheet. He had four good efforts in the final ten minutes, being denied with the first three, and then netting the fourth. First, he hit an ambitious forty yard lob that nearly came off, but dropped onto the roof of the net. His second effort was a good curling shot that Abbey dealt with comfortably. He then linked well with Joe Turner, the winger playing him in with a perfectly weighted pass. Simmo’s first time shot was powerful, but was saved by Abbey. With four minutes to go, though, he got his angles spot on, as his twenty five yarder curled perfectly into the corner of the net to round off a superb team performance and result.

And so, the name of Hampton & Richmond Borough will be in the hat for the Fourth Qualifying Round draw for the first time since 2009, and it’s a further two years since we last made it to the First Round. With the Conference Premier clubs coming in now, a huge tie could be on the cards.

The draw for the Fourth Qualifying Round of the 2013-14 FA Cup takes place at 10:30 this Monday, and will be broadcast live on TalkSport.


About James Bartaby

Hey, I'm James and I'm relatively new to non-league football, having only taken in my first match in September 2011. Despite it being a 0-4 defeat for Hampton & Richmond Borough, I became a huge fan of the club and NL in general. So much so that they are now the first club that I mention when talking about which team I support! I just got massively disillusioned with top flight football in this country and the attitudes of the lawmakers and top clubs in general, and I wanted to start taking my son to see decent football. I am now the club's Deputy Press Officer, and loving every minute!

Posted on October 12, 2013, in UTL Archive and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: