Beavers Lose To Ten Man Trawler Boys

Hampton & Richmond Borough Press Officer, Rob Overfield, kindly gives us permission to use his match report from last Saturday’s entertaining, but ultimately frustrating, defeat for the Beavers in Lowestoft.

A long dreary journey to the easternmost senior football ground in the UK ended with the Beavers on the receiving end of a heavy defeat which, given the clubs defensive record, was a little unexpected.

After a bright opening 5 minutes, in which man-of-match Tony Taggart forced keeper Plummer into an early save, the hosts took the lead. Lee Smith had made some room down the Town right, his cross found Scott Mitchell in space and his solid header beat Rodney Chiweshe’s despairing dive.

The Beavers found themselves having to settle quickly after this reverse and this they managed, Charlie Moone’s close range attempt on 10 minutes was deflected for a corner, which came to nothing in the strong wind.

On 34 minutes, the Trawlerboys doubled their lead after a cross from the right found Gaughran at the back post. His header back across goal was met by Henderson, and the striker stretched out his foot to push the ball into the net before Chiweshe could reach it.

It was looking like a long afternoon for the team, but just on 40 minutes the Beavers won a free kick some 40 yards out on the right. Tony Taggart’s cross got caught on the wind, giving Plummer little chance to adjust his attempted punch as he dashed out, the ball skidding off the keepers hand and rolling into the back of the net.

Added time was drawing to a close when the Beavers got right back into the game and once again Taggart was involved. His livewire run saw him make space to clip over a cross which Ryan Moss met at the back post; his header beat Plummer’s right hand to squeeze inside that post.

2-2 at half time was a good shift by the Beavers after being 2-0 down, and they shocked the hosts early in the second half. Moss turned provider, his cross from the left found Taggart sprinting in from the right, and his deft finish gave Plummer no chance.

The lead wasn’t to last that long, all of 3 minutes. Williams made a run from right back and his cross was deflected into the path of leading scorer Jack Defty and his simple finish from close range brought the Trawlerboys back on level terms.

The points were there for the taking and both side had chances; Charlie Moone had a shot palmed away on 64 minutes, ex-Beaver Joe Benjamin had a shot just after this which was only good enough for a corner and on 79 minutes, Mo Bettamer couldn’t get his header on target to trouble Plummer.

On 80 minutes, the Trawlerboys were reduced to 10 men after Greg Crane was instantly dismissed for a scything tackle on Alan Bray, which left the defender needing treatment for some minutes. This had the effect of galvanising Lowestoft, and just 4 minutes later, Defty picked up a sliced clearance and deftly scooped it past Chiweshe from close range. Five minutes later, in the 89th minute, substitute Michael Frew found himself in a one on one with Darren Powell; Frew beat him for pace and coolly slid the ball under Rodney Chiweshe from about 18 yards.

Next up for Borough is a tricky trip to Bognor Regis Town on the nineteenth, followed by a home match with Wealdstone FC this coming Saturday.

Lowestoft Town 5 
Mitchell 6
Henderson 34
Defty 54, 84
Frew 89

Hampton & Richmond 3
Taggart 40, 51
Moss 45+2

Attendance 523

Lowestoft Town
Plummer, Williams, A Smith, Okay, Crane, Gaughran (Benjamin 66), L Smith (Frew 75), Fisk, Defty (Gleeson 86), Henderson, Mitchell.

Not used: Dawkin, Eagle.

Hampton & Richmond Borough
Chiweshe, Kamara (Murray 86), Bray, Holloway, Powell (c), Jeffreys, Turner, Moss, Moone (Bettamer 72), Simmonds, Taggart.

Not used: Reece, Hustwick, Harkin

Many thanks to Rob for this report, which was originally posted on the club’s official site. You can follow both the club and Rob on twitter: @hrbfc and @RabidRobo


About James Bartaby

Hey, I'm James and I'm relatively new to non-league football, having only taken in my first match in September 2011. Despite it being a 0-4 defeat for Hampton & Richmond Borough, I became a huge fan of the club and NL in general. So much so that they are now the first club that I mention when talking about which team I support! I just got massively disillusioned with top flight football in this country and the attitudes of the lawmakers and top clubs in general, and I wanted to start taking my son to see decent football. I am now the club's Deputy Press Officer, and loving every minute!

Posted on March 18, 2013, in UTL Archive and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: