Has the FA Cup been on this weekend?

Saturday, 12th October, 2011 – Suffolk Senior Reserve Cup 3rd Round

Stowmarket Town 4-4 Crane Sports (AET)

Stowmarket win 5-4 on penalties

Forget about the FA Cup, it was all about the Suffolk Senior Reserve Cup yesterday afternoon for Stowmarket Town Reserves as they eventually beat Crane Sports 5-4 on penalties in the 3rd Round of the competition.

Crane got off to the best of starts after just four minutes; Stacey misjudged an in swinging corner and Gray couldn’t get out of the way quick enough as the ball bounced off the striker back into the empty goal.

Both sides had opportunities in the remaining forty odd minutes but Crane Sports had control of the game and could have extended their lead on more than one occasion but Stow thankfully went in one down at the half time whistle.

Town came out and started much more brightly but again conceded another early goal in the half this time from the penalty spot. Blackman fouled Mulley in the area and Smith calmly slotted his penalty away beating Stacey who had dived the wrong way.

The Gold & Blacks were thrown a life line after Della Bella was brought down on the edge of the box; Nathan Mayes stepped up and curled a stunning shot beyond Cranes keeper and into the top corner. Stow then reached top gear and took the lead with two goals in just five minutes. Burch found space down the right and fired a shot into the same corner that Mayes had found just minutes before to make the scores level. Jordan Mayes then put Town in front after beating the offside trap and lobbed the keeper; cue a frantic last ten minutes or so.

Both Chris Gray and Jordan Mayes could have put the tie out of sight if it wasn’t for a touch of brilliance from Crane’s goalkeeper who made two match saving stops. Crane were then to go on and grab what they thought was the equaliser that would send the match to extra time but they were wrong…They scored two through some good work down the left catching Stow’s defence off guard and Smith tucked home what they thought would be the winner but they were once again wrong.

Stow kept pushing for an equaliser in the dying minutes and got what they deserved in what was one of the last few kicks of the game, Stacey raced forward from his goal line as Lockwood fired in a corner kick, it was met by the head of Gray and the big target man directed his header into the back of the net and sent the tie to extra time!

Stowmarket had control of the first half of extra time and they could have taken the lead through substitute Duncan who smashed his header against the bar and hit the post with the follow up before shooting wide.

The second half of extra time soon came along and Stow again could have put the match to bed after hitting the upright on more than one occasion, the biggest chance came though front man Jordan Mayes who again timed his run to perfection to beat the offside trap. He chipped the keeper and sprinted away to supporters whose reactions soon made Mayes turn round and see that the ball hadn’t crossed the line. It took a hefty bounce onto to crossbar and bounced clear letting Crane off.

Crane’s only real involvement in extra time came through a couple of late corners that Stow dealt with and with that the tie went to penalties.

Crane Sports opted to take first and put their first spot kick away, Gray then stepped up for Town and put his penalty away beating the keeper
well after placing the ball low to his right.

Crane again netted however Nathan Mayes smashed his penalty into the roof of the net and again levelled for Stow.

Stacey made a vital save from Crane’s third penalty; the agile keeper got down low to his left and made a strong save to deny Crane taking the lead
in the shoot-out. Della Bella then put the Gold & Blacks into the lead for the first time after calmly dispatching his effort past the keeper.

Crane netted again and levelled the scores however Duncan stepped up for Stowmarket and tucked his penalty away well to give Town the lead once more.

Again Crane put away their penalty so it was all up to young Jordan Mayes to score or the shoot-out would continue. He stepped up confidently
and sent his shot low into the bottom right corner sending the Gold & Blacks though to the quarter finals! This sparked scenes of jubilation as the
Stow boys bundled on top of each other in what was a very memorable moment for the boys in Gold & Black!


About Anthony

Proud member of the Stow Town Barmy Army who provide great atmosphere at Stowmarket Town games, home and away!

Posted on November 13, 2011, in UTL Archive and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: